General information on Strychnine Poisoning
Strychnine Poisoning is caused when a cat accidentally ingests this poison that is used to kill rats, mice and birds. Strychnine is a central nervous system poison that affects the nerve signals to the muscles.
Symptoms of Strychnine Poisoning
Symptoms of Strychnine Poisoning may include apprehension and agitation during the beginning stages. After this stage the cat will have painful seizures that last about a minute. Clapping hands, loud noises or touching the cat will set off another seizure. During the seizure the cat may stop breathing and turn blue. Other symptoms include drooling, muscle spasms, tremors and collapse.
Treatments for Strychnine Poisoning
If you observe the first signs of Strychnine Poisoning, induce vomiting. Donít induce vomiting if the cat is already showing signs of labored breathing or there are signs of central nervous system involvement. Cover the cat with a towel or blanket and try to be easy and quiet while you take you cat to the nearest vet or clinic.
If you have personal pet experience with Strychnine Poisoning
share your information here - Click Here
Strychnine Poisoning - personal experiences
If you want to share information on a different disease, select
a disease from A to Z - Click Here - Diseases A to Z
Remember, this information is for reference only. Always contact your vet or pet profesional for advice.
The information contained on this site is for the sole purpose of
being informative and is not and should not be used or relied upon as medical
Seek the advice of your vet
or other qualified pet care provider before you decide on any treatment or
for answers to any questions you may have regarding a feline medical symptom or medical condition.